Email Encryption with Proofpoint
UF Users – Composing a Secure Message to External Users
When you want to send a secure message, all you need to do is use your regular email application and enter the word [encrypt] into the ”’Subject”’ field of your message. Include the square brackets.
External Users – Decrypting Secure Messages
The following sections describe how users external to UF receive and decrypt secure messages.
Reading a Secure Message
- When you receive a secure message, it will look similar to this in your mailbox:
- You can either select the “Click Here” text or you can open the attachment in the email to proceed.
- Select the “Click to Read Message” button
- Note: Some email and webmail clients display the Proofpoint Encryption secure message attachment inline. When you click the “Click to read message” link, you will see an error message. The solution is to first save the attachment to disk before opening it.
Registering with Proofpoint Encryption
- The first time you receive a secure message, you will be prompted to create an account to register with Proofpoint Encryption.
- Fill in the fields, select your security question and answer if applicable, and then click Continue
Read your Message
- The Reply, Reply All, and Forward options are available if your organization’s security policies allow these options.
- The Save As option is available if your organization’s security policy allows it. Use the Save As option to download your secure message to your computer.
- Save Message Body as HTML – downloads the message body as <message subject>.html.
- Save as EML Message – composes a RFC2822 message based upon the Secure Reader message content. This option does not include embedded images.
- If you click Reply you cannot add more recipients to the message.
- If you click Reply All you can add more recipients to the message.
- If you click Forward you can add recipients to the message. The recipients may or may not be restricted to certain domains according to your organization’s security policies.
- Click Logout when you are done.
- The next time you want to read a secure message, you will be prompted to log in to Proofpoint Encryption using your password.
Forgetting Your Password
- If you forgot your password, click the Forgot Password link
- You will be prompted to answer your security question. You will then be prompted to reset your password.